© Herrington Heritage
Hosted by Prickly Hedgehog

This website uses cookies. They're deleted when you close the browser, and are only to make the website work as it does. For information on controlling cookies please see http://www.ico.gov.uk/


Middle Herrington Chapel

About 1839 the chapel was built at the crossroads. Certainly in the 1847 Tithe map the Wesleyan Methodists of Herrington are shown as landowners of this property. It must have been acquired from the Earl of Durham who owned the surrounding land. It was said to have cost £250. But this tiny place exhibits a much longer history. Charles Allen, one of the famous Allens of Shiney Row, noted his attendance at a service in the area on September 24th 1809, when Mr Robert Spoor presided. It has never had an enormous congregation but in 1809 the members present were only 8:

  • Margaret Armstrong
  • William and Elizabeth Wandless
  • William Charles Brown
  • Michael and Elizabeth Shelton
  • William Stonehouse
  • Andrew William Brown

At first, services were held each fortnight, from 1809 to 1815 the membership doubled and in 1829 it was possible to hold two classes.

By 1850 it was dilapidated and taken down, being re-built with its high-pitched roof, porch and arched windows basically as we see it today. The school room was added in 1906 and further improvements made in 1972.

Inside, brasses testify to the support given by worshippers and by Joseph Patrick Clinton who "maintained Methodism" in the village (after whom Clinton Place is named). It was he who persuaded members to defer the decision to close at the turn of the century because of falling rolls, each Sunday he travelled from Houghton to light the fires and prepare for the services.

Since then Weightman, Gibson and Angus families have continued this tradition.